Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Exquisitely sublime...

There were times at Kaewsamrit Muay Thai when I asked myself why I was placing myself in such pain and discomfort. Why as a "tourist" and not a professional fighter, hell...not even a gifted amateur, I was training like I was getting ready for a fight.

Because it was worth every stinking, sweating, aching moment. There's something that just transcends physical discomfort, and makes the whole experience sublime. I have experienced it in swimming and cycling, but never as a boxer. To try to put it into words seems to cheapen the experience...so I'll leave it at that.

My friends and family...do try to challenge yourself, and not just physically, in every way and at every opportunity.

Arete.

I am off to France on Emirates Airline this Friday at 0230. Next update will be whenever I can figure out the French keyboard.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Arrrrrrete.
Bring out the TigER in you.

OB

Anonymous said...

Hey Dave!

It's great to read of all of your adventures. I would love a chance to train like you have. The times I enjoy most in my life are when I am working, forcing, and pushing myself towards some herculean goal--whether it be physical or of another realm. Some of those great times are definately when I was swimming for you.

Anyways, I'm glad to see you are doing well. And don't worry about the French keyboard, I'm pretty sure if you can handle a Dvorak keyboard, then you can handle anything the French throw at you!

Morgan

walkaboutdave said...

hey Morgan!

Great to hear from you! How's everything going for you? And you're absolutely right, this French keyboard isn't too bad. Took only about 10min to get used to it.

And I was a big fan of "Fantasia" (that was Disney, no?)...loved the music matched with the animation.

Take care,

Dave